Responsibilities & Rights
You are responsible for:
- Paying your bill by the due date;
- Contacting our office if you have not received your bill in a timely fashion;
- Protection of the domestic water supply to ensure drinking water does not become contaminated;
- Installing back flow prevention at your expense upon notification that a hazard exists;
- Preventing the cross connection of the water service provided by the system to any other source of water. No physical connections can be made by the customer to any other water distribution system or source other than that furnished by the system; pursuant to the Safe Drinking Water Act of 1986: TCA 68-221-701 to 68-221-720.
- Keeping the property at the service address free from any obstruction which would impede the reading and maintenance of the meter.
You have the right to:
- Seek help paying your water bill. The community agencies you contact will decide whether you are eligible for aid.
- Request a payment extension if you are temporarily unable to pay your water bill within fourteen (14) days after the due date. If you do not fulfill the terms of the extension, we may disconnect service and we will not offer you a new extension before we disconnect service;
- Question whether a monthly bill is correct.
If you feel there is an error:
- If you feel one month’s bill is incorrect, please call the office at (865)882-0395 before the due date. You must take timely action. If you do not question one month’s bill within the required time period of 5 days prior to the disconnection date, we will conclude that you feel that month’s bill is correct.
- We will not disconnect service for nonpayment of the disputed portion of a bill while it is being reviewed. Your right to appeal will not expire if delay on our part makes it impossible to contact CUD within the required time period.
- You have the right to suspend payment of the disputed portion of a bill while the dispute procedures are in progress.
Reasons for discontinuing service
CUD is authorized to discontinue or refuse to supply water service without notice, if:
- Nonpayment of bill that is delinquent over 14 days past the due date, or non-payment of other charges;
- Failure to comply with utility rules, regulations or policies;
- Any threat to public health on a customer’s premises which may endanger other customers;
- Tampering with metering equipment or theft of service;
- Connection of more than one service on one tap.
- Misrepresentation of identity in obtaining service.
Paying Your Bill
Each month pay the amount due by the due date. After the due date, pay the amount due plus the late penalty. No “final notice” will be mailed.
CUD mails bills to it’s Roane County customers during the first week of each month, to be due on or around the 15th of each month. CUD mails bills to it’s Morgan County customers during the third week of the month, to be due on or around the 5th of the following month. CUD is not responsible for delivery of your statement. Utility bills are recurring charges. Failure to receive a statement does not entitle you to be relieved of payment.
Disconnection of Service
Service will be subject to disconnection if payment is not received in our office by 14 days after the due date. Disconnections are handled in accordance with the District’s workload.
Once service is disconnected for nonpayment, the total amount due on the account plus a reconnection fee must be paid to restore service. It is your responsibility to inform us that service has been disconnected when making your payment. Failure to do so could result in a delay in having your service restored. Accounts reconnected after normal business hours are subject to an after hours reconnection fee.
CUD will not disconnect your water service for non-payment if a physician, public health officer, or social service officer certifies in writing that disconnection of service is life threatening to you or any other permanent resident of the premises where services are rendered. A prompt request is important. This does not release you from your responsibility payment.